Moving to Newfoundland and Labrador


Travel Exemption Application

For those of you who may not be aware of the travel restrictions for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador (NL), please be advised that under Special Measures Order No. 11  individuals who are not residents of NL must apply for a travel restriction exemption request for permission to enter the province. While the conditions of Order No. 11 are subject to change, please send your request to enter the province as soon as possible.

If you are a resident of NL but are currently out of the province, please ensure you have the correct government issued ID with you upon your return.

Complete details are available on the government’s website.

Moving Expenses

Residents coming to the province will receive a travel allowance of up to $600 for one-way travel. Original receipts must be submitted with your claim – Personal expenses only will be considered for reimbursement: airfare; or gas, meals, lodging and ferry; and/or shipping. Expenses incurred upon arrival in St. John’s are not eligible for reimbursement. Unfortunately current graduates of Memorial University’s Medical School are not eligible for reimbursement.

Although $600 is the maximum that can be claimed, it’s important to keep your receipts as additional costs may be deductible on your income tax.

How to get here

St. John’s International Airport provides daily connections between St. John’s and Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Calgary. A year-round ferry service to Newfoundland is provided by Marine Atlantic from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Port-aux-Basques. Driving time from Port-aux-Basques to St. John’s via the Trans Canada Highway is approximately nine hours. Due to COVID-19, Marine Atlantic will not operate the summer ferry service from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Argentia, Newfoundland.

Getting Your Driver’s Licence

If you plan on driving in Newfoundland and Labrador, you have 90 days to transfer your driver’s license and you are required to register your vehicle within 30 days of entry into the province. To do so, you must visit your local Motor Registration Office and provide your vehicle registration certificate and/or driver’s licence from your previous jurisdiction. If your vehicle was previously registered outside of Canada, you must produce a Canada Customs Clearance. If you hold a valid driver’s licence from outside Canada or the United States you may be required to complete a written, vision and road test. Please visit Motor Registration for further information – .

Prior to transferring your license, we suggest you copy your current license in the event it is destroyed by MRV. It may be helpful in getting car insurance and/or proof of your driving record.


PARNL understands that finding accommodations during your residency may be challenging, particularly during COVID-19. While residents are ultimately responsible for finding their own accommodations, we will do our best to provide assistance if possible.

We are unable to visit or recommend any specific sites. Many accommodations are not able to accommodate pets so please confirm your landlord’s pet policy well in advance as well as the date when it will be ready for you to rent/lease.

Affordable rental units are available throughout St. John’s. Accommodations are advertised in local newspapers and listings are posted online by The Telegram and the City of St. John’s; on Kijiji as well as or

Communities on the Avalon Peninsula are serviced by Some rural sites are serviced by


Bell Aliant –
Eastlink –
Rogers –

Finding a Family Physician

PARNL members are encouraged to have a family physician. The MUN Student Wellness and Counselling Centre is available to members and/or their families in the St. John’s area –

For a provincial listing, please visit –

Provincial Health Insurance

If you request health coverage from Newfoundland and Labrador’s Medical Care Plan (MCP), you must provide MCP with a written statement from the Medicare plan of your home province or territory stating whether or not you are eligible for extended out-of-province coverage. If coverage with your home province’s plan is not possible, the reason for ineligibility must be given and you will be considered for coverage under MCP.

If you are able to maintain your home province coverage, please review your expiry date and renew before you travel to NL.