Your Benefits


Member Benefits

As a member of PARNL, you have access to long-term disability insurance with Sun Life Assurance as well as medical insurance coverage with Desjardins Financial Security that includes group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, health, optical and (optional) dental insurance.

Once you become a PARNL member, you are also eligible to apply for a number of financial incentives sponsored by the provincial government and Memorial University.

Financial Incentives and Bursaries

The Department of Health and Community Services, Human Resources Division, offers a number of financial incentives to physicians in training. For criteria information or to download an application, visit the Provincial Physician Recruitment Office and click on Bursaries and Fellowships.

Inquiries regarding any of the following programs or questions concerning J-1 Visas can be made to the Human Resources Division by contacting Health Information at

Employment Benefits

Call Stipends

  • Residents will receive $80.75 for each regularly scheduled in-hospital duty period and $40.75 for each regularly scheduled out-of-hospital call period
  • If you are required to perform more than seven (7) out-of-hospital duty periods in the regular 21-day schedule, you will be paid a premium of $75 per excess duty call

Overtime Payment

  • If you are required to work more than seven (7) in-hospital duty periods in the regular 28-day schedule, you will be paid a premium of $225 per weekday or $360 per weekend
  • If you are required to work on a statutory holiday, you have the option of being paid time and one-half or you may take the paid holiday at another time

Vacation and Paid Leave (per annum)

  • Four weeks paid vacation
  • Seven days conference leave
  • Three days family responsibility leave
  • Up to one year Maternity/Paternity leave with step progression upon return (i.e. you will receive a service credit for the period of leave for salary purposes only)


  • Meal allowance of $105 per month (paid automatically bi-weekly with your salary)
  • Travel allowance of up to $600 for travel costs to the province to begin training


  • LMCC Part II fees – reimbursed upon successful completion of the exam (must be a PARNL member when sitting exam)
  • CMPA dues – fully reimbursed upon submitting proof of payment in full

Employee Claim Forms Claim forms are processed through Eastern Health, but may be dropped off at the Postgraduate Office. Claim forms are available at the Postgraduate Medical Education Office or at


Disability Insurance

Disability insurance is mandatory benefit for PARNL members. Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, a member of the Sun Life Financial group of companies, is your group benefits provider for long-term disability insurance.


To be eligible for group benefits, you must be a resident and a member of PARNL. You must also be actively working for your employer at least 20 hours per week. You are considered actively working if you are performing all the usual duties of your job for the scheduled number of hours for that day. This includes scheduled non-working days and any period of continuous paid vacation.

Submitting Claims

To make a claim, complete the Notice of Claim for Group Long-Term Disability Benefits that is available through the PARNL Office. You, your attending doctor and your sponsor will all have to complete claim forms after the notice of the claim has been made. Sun Life will then assess your claim and send you a letter outlining their decision.

For further information, consult your employee benefits booklet or contact the PARNL Office.

Group Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Canada Life (formerly Great West Life) is the group insurance provider for all PARNL members. The plan includes group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, dental, vision care, etc. It is compulsory for residents to subscribe to Great West Life while employed by Eastern Health. However, dental insurance is optional. Premiums are deducted from your bi-weekly pay.

How to Submit your Claims

Eastern Health, your group administrator, will co-ordinate claim forms and advise you on procedures when submitting claims to Great West Life. Claim forms are available at the Eastern Health Human Resource Centre. Present your identification card to the pharmacist when purchasing eligible medications. You pay the pharmacist’s professional fees and any applicable surcharge, while the cost of the eligible ingredient (medication) is payable under the program. Some prescription drugs may require Special Authorization.

For more information on your benefits, please visit: 

Provincial Health Insurance

If you request health coverage from Newfoundland and Labrador’s Medical Care Plan (MCP), you must provide MCP with a written statement from the Medicare plan of your home province or territory stating whether or not you are eligible for extended out-of-province coverage. If coverage with your home province’s plan is not possible, the reason for ineligibility must be given and you will be considered for coverage under MCP.

Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) Insurance

CMPA is a mutual defense organization for physicians who practice in Canada. It exists to protect physicians’ integrity by providing services of the highest quality including legal defense, indemnification, risk management, educational programs and general advice.

This is your “malpractice insurance” and membership is obligatory while working for Eastern Health. All members must obtain coverage with CMPA within thirty (30) days of commencement of employment as a resident in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Under the PARNL contract, Eastern Health will cover the cost of the CMPA annual premium. Residents will have to submit the required claim form to the Postgraduate Medical Studies Office along with proof of receipt indicating payment in full.


You are eligible for CMPA membership if you are a medical school graduate and are duly licensed or registered by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador. For more information and to learn how to apply visit the CMPA website.